The Username for the password protected Boatbuilding page is:
Your Password is in your copy of Tune Up Your Teaching & Turn On Student Learning.
YOU WILL BE LOGGED INTO BOATBUILDING UNTIL YOU CLOSE YOUR BROWSER
Teachers want their students to think, learn, and understand. Some teachers are more successful than others in achieving those goals.
• What do teachers who achieve those goals do differently than those who don't?
• What can new teachers do to help support students move towards those goals without "giving the answers" too early in the learning process?
• What can experienced teachers do to improve their percent of their students who are successful in achieving those goals?
Without realizing it in many cases, most teachers provide options for students that allow their students to complete required tasks with minimal effort on their part. The problem is how to avoid the “TMI” trap.
In Tune Up Your Teaching & Turn On Student Learning, Dr. JoAnn Jurchan and Dr. Chuck Downing, two veteran educators with over 75 years of combined experience at multiple student levels, provide a clear and detailed description of how to help teachers change their methods and raise the level of both thinking and learning in their classrooms. Neither a “cookbook,” nor a “one size fits all” solution, this book instead describes research-based methods that can be personally tailored by any teacher to her or his situation.
• Teachers. We wrote this book first and foremost for you—elementary, middle, and high school teachers—all grades, all subject areas. However your school is configured, this book is for you.
• Pre-Service Teachers. If you are a pre-service teacher, we’re convinced you will be a better student teacher and a better contracted teacher by incorporating principles from this book in your teaching from the start. In fact, if you begin your professional career with these principles as your norm, your voice will carry more influence because of your students’ achievements. Additionally, you won’t be easily swayed by educational trends and fads that will certainly come along.
• Administrators and Teacher Leaders. Whether you are a principal, assistant principal, district level curriculum specialist, teacher on special assignment, or any other level of teacher in leadership, implementation of the principles in this book will benefit those under your supervision and guidance.
• Parents/Guardians. You are in partnership with all of the above stakeholders. Regardless of the grade level of your child, as you read this book, we hope you will be thinking, “This is good stuff. How can I assist the teacher in implementing these ideas?”
Regardless of the tenure of your teaching experience, you will find both guidance and pearls that will help and motivate you to transform your teaching. Dr. Jurchan and Dr. Downing provide concrete examples of how to transform common activities from all core areas into hotbeds of thinking. To clarify critical points, the authors include “He Said. She Said” dialogs between one another, providing insight into their thought process. This is a map of the change process “with GPS coordinates included.”